Thursday, March 20, 2008

B+ Movie

Being an honorary film student is hard work, especially when you hardly work. But nevertheless, I do occasionally stick to the stereotype of my high-school major and churn something out, even if it's not quite the highest of caliber. Actually, most things that come out of my school can hardly ever be categorized as the highest of caliber since the Communications major as a whole is known, quite simply, as the "Fallback Major". No one takes anything related to film seriously, and therefore when you're crammed in a mandatory group of six all sharing the same notion of wanting to just lie back and film their buddy skateboarding, it's pretty hard to get most anything done.

But surprisingly, at the beginning of this school year I got crammed in a group that consisted of only mostly slackers. Somehow, by a gift from the universe I was granted entry into a group that wanted to work. And work we did.

Despite the general problems of contending with other group members and with a malfunctioning Avid system, the end product didn't end up looking completely terrible. To be honest, though, it was hardly something that I was proud of and wanted my name attached to, yet our film teacher liked it and decided it needed to be seen. And thus it was entered in the Palm Beach International Film Festival's student showcase.

And now it's in the top fourteen.

Granted, I don't usually do things like this, but I'm genuinely excited at the idea of attaching an "award winning film" to my portfolio. Okay, so maybe I can only take credit for a couple of shots and full-credit for the editing, but I still bathe in the idea that its the editing that really makes a movie. So, ladies and gentlemen, here's where you come in.

The student showcase has already gone through preliminary judging, and now the votes rest with the people. So, vote! Vote so that I can finally bring my department out of the depths of obscurity. Vote so that I can show the world that I really do mean something, and that I won't take life sitting down. Vote so that I can go to school with bragging rights and look down on all those around me because, hey, do they have award-winning films?

Vote, people. Vote to show me how much you love me. Vote to put $2,000 in my pocket. Just vote, dammit.



And all your wildest dreams will come true.

6 comments:

jesse said...

Yours was definitely the best from your school. The concept wasn't childish and the acting didn't want to make me murder small villages.

I can't figure out how to vote, however. I should sleep and then try.

You're making me want to get back into film.

Anonymous said...

not bad. not bad at all. i liked the end shot. i couldnt figure out how to vote either though. sorry.

M. said...

The site is extremely flaky since it's put up not by the festival itself but instead by Palm Beach County, so it doesn't always work.

But here's a rundown on how to vote when it does choose to function...

There should be a link at the top that says "Vote Here For Your Favorite Film" and once clicked on, it'll open a little pop-up box that asks for your e-mail. Check your e-mail, write down you access code, follow the link, and submit your final vote there.

Like I said, it doesn't always work. My experience says that it never works in Firefox and always works in Safari, but I have no idea beyond that.

Thanks for trying anyway.

jesse said...

Curse my Firefoxness.

tamara said...

Nice work, m, voted for your film, too!

I came here from Deus Ex Malcontent...first time de-lurking here, but have read numerous posts, and love your writing...

Please, do something frivolous and fun with your winnings...

Adam said...

It worked alright for me from Firefox, which is to say, vote cast.

Nice concept! I really liked ballet as the emotional vehicle for the film. Too often the "art school" film falls into the "no words just subversive camera angles and esoteric symbolism" trap. I think you guys dodged that nicely by subbing in dialog replacements that imbued the film with melancholy in a novel way. Good show.