Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Generation Why

Photo by Noah Stone

Whilst attending one of the many middle schools I found myself slam-dancing through in my early teens, I landed on one in particular that held my attention for at least a year or two, a record when it comes to my history of truancy and transfers. It was, you guessed it, a local art school that held its own in the national standings and even required auditions for all potential students. Much like my confidential art school now, it was highly competitive and a favorite for soccer moms who thought their ten year olds were Liza Minnelli when it came to all-around talent. (And really, they were just like Liza Minnelli on the talent-scale, coming in somewhere just above Courtney Love and Jeffree Star.)

But despite all of these whack-ass parents, it were the kids that really interested me. In my eighth grade year, a few weeks before I withdrew into the seclusion of a six month summer vacation, I observed something that completely blew my mind. Something so utterly odd and bemusing that I don't really know how I went so long without talking about it.

A phase passed over the school, a phase lasting god knows how long. A phase of pure terror and irony. Within five days, the school went from blissful, underaged normality to having the entire 6th grade population decked in jelly shoes and shirts that read, wait for it, "Made in the 80's."

Now I don't know if you folks are aware of this, but being in my current 15-year-old state means that I was born in 1992. Granted, I've never really been stellar in math class, but I do believe that means that these sixth graders of yore were born in 1994. That's one, two, three, four years after the eighties drew to a close, and by 1989 it was practically the grunge years anyway. Cobain didn't shoot himself in the head until 1994, and that's when these kids were still shitting in diapers and sucking down formula.

So, my question posed is this: When did the eighties become cool? Wasn't it just a few years ago that Generation Y was looking back on their parents and their John Hughes-like fashion sense with nothing less of disdain and confusion? Like a bad hangover, those who survived as a teenager in the eighties are now holding their heads and saying, "Wow, what was I thinking?" Meanwhile, their nine year olds are sneaking their preserved articles of clothing from the back of the closet and wearing them to school with a newfound sense of pride.

And not only are "vintage" eighties dresses and the like now extremely hip and groovy, but new eighties outfits are being made with sloganeering proclaiming just how cool the eighties are. Were. Will be?

Case and point: Miami Twice. Miami Twice is a royally wonderful used clothing store that any and all South Floridian teenagers know of, even those of years past. It's been around for forever and a day, and it still remains today, only with a slightly different twist. Then, it specialized in all things used, like a Goodwill boutique for young people with all the bedazzled t-shirts of Calico cats weeded out. Now, Miami Twice is a store that specializes in new things that look old, particularly those that are paralleled to eighties fashion. There is, in fact, one rack of real vintage dresses towards the front of the store, but the rest is replicas of Elvis Costello t-shirts and creepers, pre-faded and mass produced for public consumption.

I sometimes have to wonder if I'm stuck in some sort of Transylvanian time warp, or if kids really are just having a major generation-identification crisis. Granted, I have no room to talk about how great the eighties really were and how kids these days have no idea what the hell they're talking about. Like I said, I was born in 1992. I was raised on Sky Dancers and the Spice Girls. I didn't know who Joe Strummer was until the year he died, which was completely untimely and generally pretty unfair to my budding inner-audiophile. But even to me it seems awkward that while half of the teenaged population is progressing towards a lifestyle of Flavor Flav and MTV2, the younger ones are growing up on leg-warmers and Remote Control.

But don't let these pre-pubescent, cultural concubines fool you, ladies and gentlemen. The first day I saw some unfortunate eleven year old running around that fore-spoken middle school campus in a Clash shirt, I stopped him with the ever-pressing question. The kind of question that totally calls you out on a lie, and generally fucks you over in the end, even if you are just eleven.

"So, what's your favorite Clash song?"

He paused, staring at me like a deer in headlights. He knew his fate before he even answered. By responding, he only sealed the deal. Personally, I half expected him to turn on his heels and bolt out of my grasp as fast as he possibly could. Fight or flight, as the psychologists say.

"Uhm, I like them all?"

They may wear the shirts, the jeans, and the Doc Martens, but they honestly couldn't tell the Specials from the Smiths. It's all about the fashion. The look. The fact that some ten year old in charge of trendsetting somewhere is feeding them messages saying just how cool the eighties were. Nobody questions what the hell they're wearing, they simply go out to Urban Outfitters, but some jelly shoes, and skip on home. But that's fashion, isn't it? Kids are impressionable little shits, and if someone says that Miley Cyrus with her ever-pressing God complex has all the answers, then by Miley, so be it.

In case you haven't noticed, these kids weren't Made in the 80's as their t-shirts proclaim. In fact, most of them weren't even made in the early-nineties. They grew up with fast-access internet, satellite television, and rumblepacks as a standard, not an additional accessory. Yes, we all were. We are Generation Y, ladies and gentlemen, the generation of plenty, born into the world of milk & honey. And honestly, as a product of the grunge age, I'm completely happy with that. I think I turned out with some sense in my head, and hey, maybe not enough to guarantee me a spot in the Mensa brigade, but definitely enough to get me by.

Definitely enough to know that no, in fact, I was not made in the eighties.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written and well expressed. Yes, everyone who grew up in the eighty's are trying our damnedest to forget it ever existed. This phenomenon troubles me. Then again, it's always the newest trend to relive the past through fashion and style...and for those emulating these to not have a clue where it came from or why it was relevant for the time. I've found it hilarious to watch "goth" kids and "emo" kids going in and out of Hot Topic, all wearing the same Anarchy shirts.

crazy wet americans said...

i was in fact, made in the late 70's tho my formative years were definitely in the 80's. i cant even tell a "goth" kid from an "emo" kid. those are different? ;)

L-Mo said...

Excellent commentary. I think my generation might be caught in the the cusp of 80s kids and 90s kids. I feel your frustration though when it comes to the whole 80s revival spiel. And though I can say I was "made in the 80s," many of my peers (and your generation) cannot see beyond the fashion of that era and into what a tasteless, maudlin decade it really was, culturally, not just style-wise. The craze has kind of been reduced to an embarrassing regurgitation where I'm from, so hopefully, it will digress soon.

Anonymous said...

I agree, that was fantastic. I'm seventeen, and it's extraordinary how much I want to smack the prepubescent I see on my street wearing leg warmers and ACDC tee shirts. But it's not just the little'uns. I can't understand why my age group is so moronically eager to be lumped in with one of the three trends commercially available to teens. To be independent in high school is to be ignored or at best accused of being pretentious. It seems like the 80's fad started as some kind of counter-consumerism move by a bunch of cool kids in (yes) an art school somewhere in 1998, but it's been beaten into the ground by the same types that were wearing polos and pearls four years ago. God, but I'm ready for college.

That Girl said...

I've never understood this, either. If you're going to co-opt a decade, at least make it one where more interesting things happened! Can we bring the 1920s back yet, or are they not cool enough?

Also... are twelve-year-olds really wearing "made in the 80s" shirts? Are you sure they're not just ransacking their siblings' closets for the shirts said siblings were too embarrassed to bring to college?

jesse said...

Jeepers. I'm going to bring back the '20s.

Paris said...

This is funny. Smug, but funny. I was smack in the middle in the eighties (Alive in 85, how clever.) Levi 501 button fly, izods, boat shoes. I didn't consider myself a preppy, although by punk standards I'd have to be. I still occasionally listen to the songs, and not always the good ones.

It's funny that you bring this topic up because I always felt in the eighties that we were less gen x and more the Regeneration because the style we assumed seemed be assembled from various fashions throughout American history. We weren't one thing, we were all things. It sucked, but then again, we felt it was better than the cutoff jeans and lame Adidas shirts from the seventies.

It makes sense that kids would embrace the eighties as they are influenced by their parents warm and fuzzy memories. Happens all the time.

I wouldn't get too bent of shape about the kids with the Clash t-shirts. After all there are still those who worship the Dead and Bob Marley and think Yoko Ono was one of the Beatles. They were there yesterday, here today and mocked tomorrow, maybe by your kids who will dress up in the godawful tacky crap worn in 2008.

Anonymous said...

In the early 90s, everyone was enamored of the 70s, hence the crummy clothes, disco-esque raves, and "Brady Bunch" movies. Of course, in the 70s, everyone was about a sanitized version of the 50s, hence "Happy Days", "Laverne and Shirley", and Sha Na Na. As George Carlin put it, you can't be nostalgic about the 70s without also being nostalgic about the 50s. Pretty soon the 90s will be popular again, because they represent a more innocent time (no such thing, as the Rodney King riots, Oklahoma City bombing, and countless chairs whacked across a skull on Jerry Springer say otherwise) and we'll have to deal with that retro-grunge sound that makes everyone pine for a simpler time.

Not that this is anything new. In the 1940s, everyone pined for the 1890s, and in the 1890s, people romanticized ancient Greece. Or as the Onion puts it, we're running out of Retro.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29830

Soon everyone can look fondly back on these days when everyone looked fondly back on the 80s when everyone looked fondly back on the 60s.

rich bachelor said...

Imagine my pain -in 1985- when I opened a fashion magazine and noted the return of couture bell-bottoms and really big shirt collars. The bad parts of decades seem to be the parts that eternal cycle of rebirth.

I mean, the '80's were a kidney stone of a decade, to be sure, but I certainly had a wonderful time being a teenager.

And in fact, some of the good stuff came back too: just recently, the top 40 included one band that sounded exactly like Bauhaus, another that sounded exactly like Joy Division and a song that was a dead ringer for Siouxsie Sioux.

Ah, none of it matters. All you'll ever be is yourself...And that's not exactly words of either encouragement or discouragement...