Thursday, March 6, 2008

Who You Don't Want to Be When You Grow Up


Peers, classmates, fellow High-schoolers, I see you all heading in a terrible, terrible direction. Even though I haven't met all of you, I have this nagging feeling that I know all of you because, hey, no offense, but you're all the same. Regardless, in the few of you that I have met, I've observed something slightly strange about your behavior. As you're getting jobs, submitting college applications, thinking about your future, I see most of you going through a change. You're growing up, growing out of your teenaged skin and shedding it for the future wardrobe of your choice. And therein lies the problem. Most of you, even the most talented, articulate messes, are walking towards a future of mediocrity. You're walking towards state schools that will pay your way and allow you to still live at home. Sounds great, right? Except for the fact that by the time you're a freshman in college, you'll be eighteen years old. Old enough to vote. Old enough to buy cigarettes (legally). Old enough to go to war. Old enough to move the hell out and get your own life. And I'd really like to know why you choose not to. Out of all places in all the world, I would least expect this kind of behavior and career mapping from the art school I frequent, yet that unspoken breeding ground for intellectualism seems to be the main offender. Why is this, kids? With all of your, dare I say, potential, do you really believe that the best use of you as a human being is as a worker bee? A doorstop for the door to happiness? If this is truly what you want to do then be my guest, but most of the time I see you heading towards this life in middle-management simply because you don't know what else to do. It's what your parents did, and it put dinner on the table, didn't it? It can't be all that bad, right? I see you dream big, children.

So while you're off at FSU or FAU or one of the many other F-U's of Florida, just keep this little personalized letter in mind. Remember that there are other choices in life, and that the most "reasonable" or "rational" of the slew isn't usually the one that will leave you the most satisfied at the end of the day. Get out into the world. Take it by storm. Don't just be mediocre. The world doesn't need more burger flippers or soccer moms, and nobody likes the places you guys choose to congregate at. (See: WalMart, Costco, TGI Friday's, etc.) Save the smart-asses of the world the trouble of making fun of you. Go be a firefighter or an astronaut or a ballerina. It can be done.

Reaching for the stars doesn't always mean you'll asphyxiate.

Love, your pal,
- M.

5 comments:

Captain Crab said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Captain Crab said...

As someone who has had the opportunity to do a plethora of things, be paid to travel, and have several interesting, if not always financially rewarding, careers (not jobs!) during my life, the only comment I have is: "Well said M!"

Keep the faith.

jesse said...

My goodness, this only makes me love Curbed more.

You've got a good head on that spinal column. Keep using it. The world could use more people like you.

Anonymous said...

I read your other article on Generation Y, and I can only say that I wish there were more individuals such as yourself in high school. Or in general.

Well played, madam. Keep up the good work.

Dawn said...

The more things change...

Gods, this sounds like something I may have written (though probably not so well) when I was in high school. Thanks for the reminder that there are at least a few of "us" out here.